As part of completing this course through the honors program, you will undertake an independent research project related to course themes.
For the assignment, you will produce a research poster for presentation in class based on an individual autobiography of your choice. As part of the poster, you will present the autobiography and work to place it and its author in their appropriate historical context.
Select and read an autobiography of full book length (at least 100 pages). Each student will select a different work, and each student must consult with the instructor about his/her choice.
Include a discussion of the historical context through consultation with appropriate chapters of the American Yawp textbook.
Consult and use at least two scholarly essays on the autobiography, the author, or the events/themes discussed in the book.
Specific requirements for the design of the poster will be circulated after spring break.
- February 3-20: Meet with Prof. Adelman to discuss interests/possible topics or figures
- March 11: Finalize autobiography selection
- March 11-30: Read selected autobiography
- March 30: In-class research time
- April 6: In-class research time
- April 13: In-class research time and guide to creating a poster
- April 22: Submit posters for printing
- May 4: Poster presentations in class