Below are the required texts for my courses for the upcoming semester. For students, please note that these texts will be on reserve at Whittemore Library, and that I do not permit the use of electronic editions.
HIST 120 American Lives
- Melba Pattillo Beals, Warriors Don’t Cry: A Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock Central High School, reprint ed. (New York: Washington Square Press, 1995). [NOTE: Do not buy the abridged edition.] ISBN: 978-0671866396
- Joyce Chaplin, ed., Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography (New York: W.W. Norton & Co., 2012). ISBN: 978-0393935615
- Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, Written by Himself (Boston, 1845; Mineola, NY: Dover Thrift Publications, 1995). ISBN: 978-0486284996
HSTA 304 The American Revolution
- Woody Holton, Unruly Americans and the Origins of the Constitution (New York: Hill and Wang, 2008). ISBN: 978-0-8090-1643-3
- Linda K. Kerber, Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America (Chapel Hill: IEAHC, University of North Carolina Press, 1980). ISBN: 978-0-8078-4632-2
- Pauline Maier, American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997). ISBN: 978-0-6797-7908-7
- Gordon Wood, The American Revolution: A History (New York: Modern Library, 2002).